Thursday, April 26, 2018
AFTER 42 YEARS A EX COP WAS CAPTURED AS THE GOLDEN STATE KILLER-RAPER.TODAY IN CALIFORNIA-AMAZING GREAT WORK CALIFORNIA POLICE.AND GOD FOR REVEALING HIM TO BE CAPTURED.
Former police officer is suspected ‘Golden State Killer,’ ‘East Area Rapist’-UPDATED: April 25, 2018 at 2:50 pm
After more than three decades, authorities have arrested a former police officer who they say terrorized communities throughout California from 1976 to 1986, becoming known first as the ‘East Area Rapist’ and later as the ‘Golden State Killer,’ according to authorities.Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, of Citrus Heights was booked into the Sacramento County jail Tuesday night on two counts of murder, based on an arrest warrant from the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office.At a press conference Wednesday with law enforcement officials from across the state, Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Schubert said DeAngelo was charged two two murders in her county. DeAngelo is also suspected of a string of rapes and other killings starting in the mid-1970s. His nearly 60 victims ranged in age from 13 to 41 and included women home alone, women at home with their children, and husbands and wives, according to the FBI.DeAngelo was a police officer for two California departments, but was fired from Auburn in 1979 after being accused of shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer from a store, according to the Auburn Journal at the time.He has been living in the Sacramento area and was identified after a renewed push of the investigation by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department and Schubert.“Each of us we knew the answer was and is always going to be in the DNA,” Schubert said. “We found the needle in the haystack and it was right here in Sacramento.”Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said detectives began surveillance on DeAngelo last week and obtained some “discarded DNA.”“Today we at least bring the first step of closure to the victims of these horrendous crimes,” Jones said.“The haunting question of who committed these terrible crimes has been put to rest,” Orange County DA Tony Rackauckas said at the press conference.DeAngelo worked as a police officer for two California agencies, according to authorities. He first worked as a police officer for the Exeter Police Department in the Central Valley from 1973 to 1976, during the time several burglaries occurred in the Visalia area. DeAngleo worked for the Auburn Police Department from August, 1976 to September, 1979, according to the Auburn City Manager.“His employment was terminated three years after being hired by the department,” according to a press release from the city of Auburn.“Even though this case reaches four decades into the past, the city of Auburn and its police department will do everything within its power to support this investigation and any prosecution that follows,” City Manager Bob Richardson said in a press release. “We will pull out all the stops for our Sacramento area law enforcement partners in this horrific and historic case.”FBI agents and law enforcement officials from Sacramento County and Southern California were outside a home Wednesday morning in Citrus Heights, according to the Sacramento Bee. The Bee reported that DeAngelo has lived at that home for at least two decades, according to public records.The Golden State Killer, also known as the East Area Rapist, the Original Night Stalker and the Diamond Knot Killer, is believed to have killed at least 12 people, raped at least 45 victims and burglarized hundreds of homes in the Sacramento area, Central Valley, Bay Area and Southern California, according to the FBI.Investigators believe the suspect was active in Sacramento between 1976 and 1978, culminating in the murder of a husband and wife on Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department. Following the murders of Katie and Brian Maggiore, the East Area Rapist didn’t strike within the jurisdiction of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department again.But authorities believe the same man continued terrorizing residents in the Bay Area before committing several murders in Southern California. The DNA from evidence located during both series was linked in 2001, according to authorities.Authorities believe the suspect attacked people in San Jose, Concord, San Ramon, Walnut Creek and Danville, among many other cities.On the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office website, there is a section dedicated to the cold case, including a video interview with homicide Sgt. Paul Belli published in June, 2016.In the video, Belli describes the terror that was unleashed in the late 1970s during a string of rapes in the Sacramento area.“It was so impactful on so many people,” Belli said. “Even now, all this time later, as we talk to other people, we always get the stories about what was going on in peoples lives. I’ve heard stories of fathers sleeping with guns by their bedsides, shotguns very close, things of that nature.”In the video, Belli describes the suspect as “an extremely prolific offender.”“When you look at a number of the sexual assaults that occurred in Sacramento County, that takes a great toll on the families,” Belli said. “A number of them were couples.“Here you have somebody’s wife being rape in their home while the husband is home and unable to do anything about it. That’s very terrorizing. That can only be described to me as somebody who’s wanting to develop that terror and create that type of fear.”Knutson, who was born and raised in Sacramento and now heads the FBI’s portion of the investigation, described in 2016 how the “East Area Rapist” operated in the Sacramento area during the late ’70s. The first rape occurred on June 18, 1976 with a female victim in the Rancho Cordova area of Sacramento.The crimes escalated, with the rapist breaking into homes occupied by single women and couples, Knutson said.When the suspect found a couple in bed, he would have the woman bind the man, Knutson said. Then the rapist would bind the woman and re-bind the man.Then he would take the woman to another part of the house and rape her. In some instances, the rapist would put plates or cups on the backs of the male victims, threatening to come back and kill them if the plates fall over.“Our guy would vanish in the middle of the night,” Knutson said. “He would just disappear.”Authorities believe the reign of terror included phone calls with threats of murder.The FBI’s website includes an audio recording of a 1977 phone call believed to be from the East Area Rapist in which a woman answers “Hello?” and the caller breathes heavily into the receiver and whispers “I’m going to kill you” three times.Also on the FBI website are interviews with local police who investigated the Sacramento area rapes.The first recorded victim said she never heard her rapist come into her home, but suddenly noticed a man in her bedroom door. At first she thought it was her father, who she said often worked late hours. But it was a man wearing a ski mask over his face and carrying a knife.“I don’t remember exactly what he said, something like ‘don’t scream,’” the woman recalled. “He tied my hands behind my back. … I just remember feeling extremely threatened. After it was all over and done with, he went through the stuff in my room.”The woman said she lay in bed for what seemed like hours waiting to hear him leave before screwing up the courage to move. Even years later, she recalled in the recorded interview, she often felt “the tinglies, like someone’s watching you.”“I don’t hold it against him, I think there’s something wrong with him, something not wired right,” the woman said. “Either he had some trauma or had something that caused that. But I know it’s not good to hold hate in your heart, and I don’t think I do, I’m just a lot more careful. I don’t want him to be dead because I think that would be an easy way out for him.”The rapist would also ransack the homes and take small items, such as jewelry or cash.A five-part documentary about the case, “Unmasking a Killer,” recently aired on HLN.Author Michelle McNamara, who died in her sleep in April, 2016, wrote a best-selling true-crime book about the case. “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark” was published in 2018 after her death. McNamara’s husband, actor Patton Oswalt, wrote on Twitter that he hopes to interview the suspect to ask questions for his late wife.If they’ve really caught the #GoldenStateKiller I hope I get to visit him. Not to gloat or gawk — to ask him the questions that @TrueCrimeDiary wanted answered in her “Letter To An Old Man” at the end of #IllBeGoneInTheDark. pic.twitter.com/32EHSzBct5— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 25, 2018.